Frequently Asked Questions

We've tried to list most of the things you might ask about, as well as some things we think you just haven't thought to ask yet. If have a question that isn't here or think we need to add or change something, please just send an email to the Admin.

Neighborhood (2)

FAQs related to the neighborhood such as events, amenities, and general information about McKenzie

The Homeowner's Association  Board of Directors meets the second Wednesday of every month. All homeowners are welcome. Please send us an email in advance to let us know you will be there and if there is anything you would like added to the agenda. You can usually find more detail in the Event calendar. Send emails to


We have 2 ponds, the big pond and the little pond, a 1 acre undeveloped tract, and a large buffer zone and nature area at the north end of the neighborhood. See the downloads section for the neighborhood map for more information.


Website (6)

FAQs related to the website such as "how do I change my password" and "what is an RSS feed?"

Authorized users (McKenzie residents) can post comments and forum topics. If you would like to be able to contribute by writing articles or posting news and events, please email the admin ( and we can add that capability to your privileges.


Well the first thing I could suggest is to volunteer to be one of our contributors to the website. If you did, you could easily add it yourself. Trust me, we've put a lot of time into making the back end of the site that manages everything as easy to use as the front end that you see. If you can click on a menu, you can add a persons service or create an article. You will have to learn proper grammar on your own. If you are interested, send an email to . Now to answer your question.

If you would like to advertise your business or service, paid or volunteer, just send an email once again to . Be sure to include the following information. You could just drag your mouse over all of the items, hit the control key and "C" at the same time (Ctrl-C), then click on the email link in the previous sentence, and in the body of the email hit Ctrl-V to paste it in. That way you can rember what to include.

Be sure to include the following information. The more you include, the easier it will be for someone to get in touch with you:

Title of the service (examples on the website)
Contact person's name
Address (required)
Phone (optional)
Email (optional)
Age Group (if appropriate for the service as with a young sitter, this would be adult, elementary school, high school, college)
Any comments you would like to add or advertise
Category (Examples are babysitting, painting, pet sitting,plumbing, etc).

Once we get your request, we will post it for you!


Any McKenzie resident can have a email address. If you or anyone in your household would like an address, please send an email to You can send the message by sending a private message (PM) right here on the website to the admin or click on the link above to use your email client. Please provide the following information:

1. Names of all the people you want email addresses for

2. The email names you would like to create (ex. john.smith, happyneighbor, etc)

Once we receive your request, we will create the email accounts and give you a temporary password and instructions on how to change your password and start using your new email account. Most people will want to use the "webmail" version of mckenzie mail. You use a web browser to check your email from anywhere. However, we also support both POP3 and SMTP email if you want to add your account to your own email client like Outlook or Thunderbird.


There are a few ways to find out about events. You can look at the top menus and click on the Events tab or you can navigate to the main home page and click on the picture of the calendar in the right sidebar. Remember to use the different views, "month", "day", "year", etc., to see the events in a format you like. You can subscribe to the newsletter as well to be notified of events through email. For special events like yard sales, picnics, cook outs, etc, there will be a prominent banner that appears on the main page just under the main menu so you can't miss it.


First, you have to be a resident of Mckenzie, next you need to register an account and be approved. From the main page, click on the login box in the left column and select "register".  If you are a resident, we will approve you usually in a matter of hours.


Login onto your account at the very top right of the webpage or in the login block on the left column. Once you are logged in, you can click on the "My Account Link" at the very top right of the home page. You will see an option to change your password.


HOA Rules (5)

FAQs related to the Homeowner's Association rules and procedures

An architectural change is any change to the outside of your home or yard. Repairing items to their original state, such as painting shutters the same color do not require prior approval, however making changes or additions does require you to to get prior approval. The process is explained in the architectural guidelines and arc request form found in the documents section of this website. You will need to fill out and submit the online form or print out and complete the paper form and mail it to the address on the form.

Here is a partial list of things that require you to submit an ARC Request. This is not a complete list, so if you have any questions, give our management company a call or contact one of your board members or someone on the ARC committee to see if prior approval is required.

  • cutting down trees
  • clearing brush
  • constructing planters
  • installing or building a shed
  • painting any exterior trim such as shutters a different color from the original
  • replacing anything on the outside of the home with something of a different color or style
  • building or extending a deck
  • installing a patio
  • setting up a pool
  • addition or modification of fencing
  • adding gazeebos, trellises, pergolas, etc.
  • adding an unusually large playset
  • building a garage
  • extending cement walkways or driveways

Remember, you could be subject to a $100 fine for making a change without getting prior approval so be sure to follow the correct procedure.



Before making a change or addition to your house or yard such as a shed, deck, driveway extension, color change, material change, garden gazeebo or planter, cutting down a tree, etc., you will need to submit an ARC Request. The process is simple. We have an online form that you can fill out by selecting the "Submit Architectural Change Request" option from the Navigation Menu on the left side of the web page. You may also download the form as a PDF file from the "Document Downloads" tab at the top horizontal menu. Follow the instructions and either click the "submit" button for the online form or print out the PDF form, fill it out, scan it and email it back or drop it off with one of your HOA Board Members who you can contact via the board member page, "contact us" link, or by directly emailing the board at

The board has 30 days to either approve or deny your request. We normally can handle requests in a week or two. If the request is not approved, you can schedule an appointment to appear in person at the next board meeting and discuss ways that we might resolve things satisfactorily.

Once your request is approved, you have up to a year to complete the project.


Yes, you are bound by the covenents by virtue of owning property in the neighborhood even without signing any particular paperwork. By purchasing a home in a community with an HOA, you are also agreeing to be bound by the rules and regulations of that HOA. Certain legal documents, like the covenants and restrictions are recorded at the local courthouse as legal notice, just as is done  for property boundaries, taxes, liens, etc.. It is the responsibility of the buyer/homeowner to be informed of all these important details and a good real-estate attorney should have covered all these with you at closing.


Short answer; yes. However, we hold to the belief that we are all reasonable adults and that by properly communicating with each other we can work through any issues before they become a problem for the homeowner or the board. It should be noted, however, that in the State of North Carolina, the HOA board can place a lien on a homeowner's property for refusing to pay assessments and can even foreclose on that lien if the debt is not settled. In addition, liens and foreclosure can be pursued by the HOA for failure to pay any properly assesed fines related to late assessments and any non-compliance with the neighborhood covenants and restrictions.


No. McKenzie is not within the city limits of Holly Springs or Fuquay-Varina. We don't pay city taxes and don't vote for city representatives. We are simply part of Wake County and therefore need only worry about County, State and HOA rules and regulations. Remember that if you want to make any changes to your property such as a shed, extend a deck, replace your siding, build a fence, etc. you have get approval through the HOA first. You may also need to apply for a building or other permit from Wake County.